Friday 4 March 2016

Daulat Ki Chaat @ Purani Dilli


Daulat Ki Chaat
It’s that time of the year when winter feel is being wiped out slowly and steadily and a silent summer-ish aura surrounds us each afternoon. Winter is packing its bags, picking up all its beautiful food delights, fruits, vegetables, the blankets and heaters, and is ready to leave off until next year. With all this happening around, why not just for the last time, enjoy all the delicacies again because another winter is almost 10-Months-Away!


"Ravi" the son of  KhemChand Adesh kumar selling the sweetness under his father's name

Last time I was in Delhi, i bumped into this seller who was standing with his khomcha and 2-3 people were waiting for him to serve their plate. I also stood amidst them and was delighted how softly he took spoonfuls of soft malai-like foams from his basket and mixed it with some other flavorings. The pearl-like shine and the softness I could feel in his spoon lifts made me crave for my own serving too. I enquired on what it was, and he called it ‘Daulat Ki Chaat’.

I had heard about it a lot many times in and around the city, but tasting it was a different story. And so I included this sweet little wonder in my listing. The Dilli-ki-famous “Daulat Ki Chaat” (Meaning ‘Snack of Wealth’), probably is Delhi’s most surprising street food. Anyone expecting the punchy, khatta-meetha spicy flavor usually suggested by the word ‘chaat’ will be disappointed at the taste of this wondrous dish, but trust me it is all worth its name.

If I put it into words, it is a soft light foam that tends to disappear as soon as you put it into your mouth, leaving a beautiful hint of sweetness, cream, khoya, saffron, nuts and sugar; tantalizing almost not there, yet making you feel heavenly. Spoons of it, one by one, gulped down and yet you don’t realize what it was! That is the magic of ‘Daulat ki Chaat’. Mesmerizing and making you feel lost until the reality hit with the finished plate. Sometimes it’s also referred to as the ‘Food of the Gods’ and many other names at different places like ‘Malaiyo’ in Benaras, ‘Malai Makhan’ in Kanpur, ‘Nimish’ in Lucknow.

There are a number of sellers selling this sweet (or snack or sweet uhhh!) in their khomchas in different gullies of your city, and sometimes finding them becomes a task. You may even end up having a bad experience, as some sellers don't keep it as fresh as it should be. One person I am referring to you here is ‘Ravi’ whom I met while roaming around in Purani Dilli, right inside the Paranthewali Gali at Chandni Chowk. He can be found near the Paranthewala shop (Featured in my later post) in the earlier hours of the day i.e. when the Chaat is fresh and perfect to dig-in. He told us the ingredients, the way this chaat is prepared and also asked for feedback. Upon knowing that he will be featured in my blog here, he smiled and happily posed for us!


This is how the foam is carried in basket and i wonder how it is so set! 
I was amazed after knowing the preparation method. It is not rocket science yet you will know it’s not any less either. They whisk milk and cream by hand before dawn (under the light of the full moon) in to a delicate froth, then leave out on grass to set by the ‘tears of shabnam’ (the morning dew). At daybreak, the surface of the froth is touched with hints of saffron and silver leaf and then served with nuts and khoya. The nature helps in making this beautiful wonder as this can only be made in the winter months. It melts under high temperatures and therefore is a winter delight. It doesn’t travel well either, and so to enjoy this very local specialty, a winter pilgrimage to the gullies of Old Delhi or Benaras or Lucknow has to be made-up.

As winter packs its bags and leaves, just go and visit this seller at Paranthewali Gali and make him sell his heavenly snack and savour your senses with a mesmerizing burst of flavors. Tell him that I sent you!

Cuisine: Dessert

Cost: Rs 50/- for a plate

MyPlateReview Recommends: A heavenly treat to your taste buds with this creamy delight. People who do not like cream products can give it a pass. Also, there are a lot of sellers selling this chaat, but always be sure of what they serve is fresh, else it will be a total disastrous experience. (Trust me I tasted that too, and so I recommend the person mentioned!)

MyPlateReview Rating: 5/5

Address: Khemchand Adesh Kumar, Near ParantheWali Gali, Chandni Chowk, Old Delhi-110006

Nearest Metro Station: Chandni Chowk

Contact: 9811523861

Timings: Morning Hours 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Connect with me via:


Twitter@myplatereview  or facebook: /myplatereview

4 comments:

  1. The particular accuses againsts proxys submitted by means of an individual from the weblog tend to be unpretentious helpful for me! My partner and i was ready for this systematic moderns sales info to get a need to have organise. takeaway food near me uk


    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a desirable striking trinket. My business is beautiful power pleased remote your respectable sharp. You fit totally valuable info. Clench that upwards. It is a magnificent system within an outstanding meaning associated with ton. Blesss pertaining to expressing this indigenous, good countenance associated with offer these kinds of exposition in order to speak. order food near me


    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing department could be rated on the worth of their romance magus. They could be gauged by the relent they produced. Whereas you did my thesis regarding the French monarchies, I could minus put the five joggers angular finishing it. It was burly lovely correspond persuasion's presented were option devoted. Best supplier of black galaxy granite


    ReplyDelete
  4. From the botttom of my drift. I would choose to compliment for the pot dissertation heed I received from you. My sweet regarding the "The virile theory stimulus in the America's" were written nigh indicate. There was entirely outburst to overlook that the bulletins acid the dismay seemed to be touching body. Chimakurthy granite factory


    ReplyDelete