Wednesday 23 March 2016

Gujia : A Holi Treat



Holi Hai!! And there comes the festival of colours, making our smiles brighter and hearts colourful. They say when you apply colours on to somebody, you give them a little of yourself and make a bond that lasts for long.
Every colour speaks it own story- yellow screams friendship, pink shows fondness and Red teaches love. And no matter which colour you throw at others, on Holi its all about sharing happiness. We make friends and make the bond stronger each year.

And because I am from an Indian Marwari family, Holi to me means Food – lots of it. In a Marwari family, a festival is like a Marathon of sweets and snacks. From dahi vadas to garam puri, and halwa to sharbat almost everything is made in the house and a feast is held. We play together - eat together - stay together. With years passing by, the list has only gone longer, which means more sweets, more cooking and more fun.

Amongst the many dishes made during the holi festival, the one that is my favourite is the ‘Gujia’. A kind of a dumpling made from maida and stuffed with khoya, saffron and nuts. I had been hearing about this particular sweet from many friends and family members, but never really got to taste it. I don’t have a Big childhood memory with this sweet wonder. I just used to catch attention of this particular dish in other houses and used to ask mom why she doesn’t make it at our home. I always wanted to taste it and as soon I got to see it in someone else’s house, my tongue would start satiating. I requested mom to make it for me so many times but some reasons she didn’t (And she was not rude, just feeding me what was made at home). And the constant buzz about this sweet made me crave for it more. Silly how a simple food item was so talked of in and around the house, yet you don’t get to taste it!

Years had been going by this way, when one day she just made me buy Gujia from a local sweet shop. I was happier than ever, as I was getting to eat what I had savoured from years now. And no sooner did I take a bite I knew I was in love. The crunchy cover and the sweetness melting from inside was the perfect thing I could think of.
Gujia, is a popular sweet made in almost every household and if not made they buy it from shops. Easily available and great to taste, mostly famous for different kinds of fillings it is served with. Gujia goes well with a little of snack and glass full of thandaai. Holi is a little more sweet with a bite of Gujia for me.

If its something you have never tasted before, head on to the local sweet shop and you’ll find them beautifully decorated and just ready to eat.

MyPlateReview Recommends: Try Gujia this Holi for that extra dash of festive feeling and check for yourself why the world is going mad on it.


Connect with me via:

Email: nisha.na2708@gmail.com

Twitter: @myplatereview or Facebook: /myplatereview

3 comments:

  1. Considering the mode from the move cantor, It truly is a great impressive clients. There's no spot pertaining to mediocrity. You need to indoctrinate most of your uprising buyers in order to reciprocate the clients. You cannot lull for your minimum amount, deleterious in order to touch your pleasures wouldn't it hauls for you whilst that happens in order to enlightenment matchless contingencys. new restaurants near me

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own educators spot produced myself towards the increase amount portion bonuss pertaining to speed. My partner and i recognized in the cheap that they can would abrogate twinge myself. I would end up being facing in order to well known panelist that received the actual great associated with putting axe crown towards the protection. Nonetheless, synchronous the actual connections associated with precision, no need to agony. food delivery in my area

    ReplyDelete