Monday 25 April 2016

Rice In a Cooker ~ Maa's Recipe

When I was a kid, and had my exams on, Maa didn’t used to get much time for cooking. After all looking after my studies and packing my bag, getting me ready took a lot of her time. So she used to make rice in a cooker with the veggies and a little masalas with it.
I used to love it then and unknowingly the dish turned into a ritual at my home. Whenever I had exams, my Maa always made this Chawal and sent me for exams after it. Some dish just become more close to heart because it was made by mom, this is one!

Even today when I have an important day, although Maa doesn’t have the need to pack any of my stuff, she still cooks this rice for me. And the love for it hasn’t reduced! Other times when I am in no mood of cooking and am running out of stuff available in the house, I choose to make Rice-In-a-cooker. It’s a meal in itself, although some of us opt to have dahi or raita-papad with it. I am not going to make raita today, the topic of discussion here shall be limited to Rice in a cooker and if you shall need recipes on any raitas, I shall be uploading some later for sure.

Ingredients
1 cup rice (cleaned)
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp curry seeds(Raai)
7-8 curry leaves
1 carrot chopped
½ cup peas
1 small potato (chopped)
1 tsp black pepper
A pinch of garam masala
Salt to taste

Method
  1. Rinse the rice in clean water twice and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add the curry seeds and leaves in it.
  3. Now add the carrots, potato and peas, cook for a minute on medium flame.
  4. Add the listed masalas and now put the rice with it.
  5. Add a glass of water on to it and close the lid of the cooker. On medium flame cook the rice till there is one whistle, and then switch off the gas.
  6. The Rice is ready to serve.



Although I have made this form of rice many times in my life, never have I been able to make it taste like Maa makes it. Hope you like it as much I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment