Wednesday 8 November 2017

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green #BookReview #FlipkartBooks

Turtles All The Way Down by John Green
Publisher: Penguin Random House
ISBN: 978-0-241-33543-7
Genre: Fiction
Pages: 286
Source: Publisher
Rating: 5/5

“True terror isn’t being scared; it’s not having a choice on the matter”

It’s hard to swallow that I just read a John Green book, finished it and can’t really put my thoughts together as yet. After the smashing hit of the TFIOS there isn’t a doubt that John Green would move me with his words but taking on an intricate subject that questions your very being was something I had not expected. This book that started with a fan moment turned into a self-evaluation, questioning and mental awareness journey which has brought me a lot into terms with myself. Least to say I am nervous putting up my words together for this review.


What sets this book apart from most intimidating books is that it is set up for the teenagers and yet has such profound soul grasping thoughts that you have to agree that teenagers have a lot to deal with too. The portrayal of the young girl Aza, her issues of anxiety, the tough personality and struggles with her own self or others is intensely relating. The metaphor of the spiral kept me swinging from page to page in search of a message which could change both lives - Aza and me.

”If only I were as good at life as I am with the internet”

This book is a beautiful account of a journey that lies deep within, how we become the thoughts we have! There are two stories running simultaneously, one of the world outside and the other that lies inside us. Flipping through the pages you would think you are into the first story and yet you will somehow jump back to the insider self and evaluate the tiny grains of your body to question your being. It’s exactly how she Aza explaining her world going blur suddenly and she found herself hearing the sounds of the body and trying to decipher that her body isn’t hers at all.


Typically I have read all of the John Green’s work revolve around a lot of romance, teenage fun and innocence dealing with situations that are mostly around colleges. But this one is an insider tale into the mind of a girl with anxiety and behavioral issues and how is it like top feel everything so deeply. The focus is more on how she handles herself, with strong doses of romance that comes like a breeze.


I am mesmerized with the way John Puts up with bonds like Mom & daughter, Friends and even acquaintances so briefly lovable – the characters in the book seem so real, yet again! The title of the book kept me wondering till I reached the end only to realize of the infinities we live in..

Like Green says, “Spirals grow infinitely small the farther you follow them inward, but they also grow infinitely large the farther you follow them outward”


With positive and negatives sides of friendship, a mystery to solve, an unfinished love business and a lot to put up with her own thoughts – Aza’s tale keeps you going!


Get your own copy with:


Amazon: http://amzn.to/2hegV12

Connect with me via

Email: nisha.na2708@gmail.com or Instagram: nishclick

Twitter: @myplatereview or Facebook: /myplatereview 

No comments:

Post a Comment